Volunteers are an integral part of our mission
Each year, volunteers donate thousands of hours towards legal, translation, fundraising, and social services. Each hour contributed benefits our clients going through the immigration process.
For the volunteer looking to help us Monday through Friday between 9AM-5PM at our office!
- Answering phones (bilingual Spanish/English only)
- Administrative office work
- Assistance with event planning and promotion
Interpreting or Translating
HRI actively recruits volunteer interpreters and translators to provide written translations and in-person interpretation in English for our clients. HRI utilizes volunteer translators for many languages, including Arabic, Amharic, French, Hindi, Kirundi, Kinyarwanda, Korean, Mandarin, Nepalese, Spanish, Tigrinya, Vietnamese, and more. Volunteer interpreters and translators must complete a background check and read the Interpreter and Translator’s Packet, which contains guidelines for how to complete translations and/or interpret for HRI.
Volunteer Mentoring Program
HRI’s Mentoring Program pairs community volunteers with some of our adult clients. The goals of the mentoring program are:
- Giving our clients exposure to life outside of their own living situation and exposure to another person who is not involved in their legal case.
- Helping our clients integrate into our community by building connections to make their transition easier in Texas.
- Offering the opportunity for volunteers to have a deeper level of involvement with HRI’s work.
- Encouraging volunteers to become advocates and increase awareness of HRI’s work.
Bilingual English and Spanish, French, or Arabic speakers are currently needed! Each mentor is asked to commit to a six month period, two hours per month. HRI requires that each interested mentor complete the application process, which includes an Application Form and Mentoring Packet, mandatory criminal background check, and training session.
How Do I Sign Up?
Before volunteering, each participant must complete HRI’s Online Application Form, sign a confidentiality agreement, and complete a criminal background check request. As a nonprofit organization, we ask that, if possible, you donate $10 to offset the cost of the background check. A check or money order can be included when sending in the volunteer forms, payable to Human Rights Initiative of North Texas.
After these forms have been filled out (please note that where indicated, actual signatures are required), you may scan and email the forms to the Volunteer Coordinator, fax them to 214.855.0793, or mail a hard copy to Human Rights Initiative of North Texas, Attn: Layne Faulkner, 2801 Swiss Avenue, Dallas, TX 75204.
If you have any further questions about volunteer opportunities, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
We are dedicated to representing our clients and assisting our volunteers in a manner consistent with the highest standards of dignity and professionalism.
HRI continuously seeks volunteers to assist with:
- Affirmative asylum cases
- Representation of clients at the Houston Asylum Office
- Representation of clients at trial before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (the Dallas Immigration Court)
- Representation of a child seeking relief based on Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
- Representation of men, women, and children seeking relief under the Violence Against Women Act
- Representation of men, women, and children seeking relief under the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act through a U-Visa
The Pro Bono Program
Volunteer Forensic Physicians Program
Health Professionals for Human Rights
Pro Bono Association
Internships and Fellowships
Hosting Donation Drives
Essentials for Life Program
Get stories of HRI’s work and news of upcoming events.