HRI is seeking a full-time participant for our Asylum Program Summer Internship. The Asylum Program represents refugees who have fled their home countries due to persecution and torture based on their religion, political opinion, race, nationality or membership in a particular social group. This program will provide practical, hands-on litigation experience in the area of immigration law and removal proceedings while serving some of the agency’s neediest clients. As our intern you will shadow attorneys who prepare asylum applications, assist in conducting client interviews and witness preparation, draft and review supporting affidavits, briefs and other documents, perform legal research and attend hearings at immigration court. You will have at least one legal writing project (memo or brief) that can be used as a writing sample. HRI’s prior interns rave about the in-depth, real world experience they receive.
- Strong legal research, verbal and writing skills, basic computer literacy; ability to operate independently
- 1L or 2L in law school
- Committed to and enthusiastic about the mission and goals of HRI
- General understanding of immigration and nationality law and/or international human rights issues
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and/or demonstrate ability to learn computer applications
- Working knowledge of another language in addition to English (optional but preferred – Spanish and French speakers are especially encouraged to apply)
- Shadow attorneys who prepare applications for various forms of immigration relief.
- Assist in conducting client interviews, draft supporting affidavits and outline direct and redirect examinations.
- Observe the witness preparation that is crucial in Asylum cases and perform legal research, brief writing, and country conditions research
Application Instructions: Qualified applicants please email your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample to the Volunteer Coordinator, Jacqueline Vega by February 27, 2013.
For more available internships, please visit our Jobs & Internships page.