Stop the Deportation of 28 Children and Their Families
Presently there are 28 children, who are part of 23 families, in indefinite detention – during a pandemic. They come from Guatemala, Nicaragua, Peru, Honduras, El Salvador, Ecuador, and Haiti.
In Dilley TX, there are 26 children, many who have been detained for nearly a year and a half, including toddlers and teenagers, at the South Texas Family Residential Center. In Berks, PA, there are two children who have been detained for more than eight months at the Berks County Residential Center.
These #28children have a stay of removal until November 21st. After November 22, 2020, absent intervention by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, these children may be deported.
In all of this time, none of these families have been allowed to request asylum in the United States.
They are Plaintiffs in more than five federal suits challenging their right to seek asylum, their right to be free from harm and the right to be free during a pandemic. In each case, a court has determined that the judicial system has no authority to help them. The reason is that Congress has vested that authority on themselves and no one else.
A coalition has come together to stop the deportation of these families by targeting Congress. Please join them in targeting folks on Twitter to drive awareness and try and stop their deportation.
You can do 4 things to stop their deportation digitally:
- Target the following members of Congress:
- Chair of the House Judiciary Committee @RepJerryNadler
- Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus @KarenBassTweets
- Chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus @JoaquinCastrotx
- Acting Secretary of Home Security Chad Wolf @DHS_Wolf
- The Squad: @AOC @AyannaPressley @IlhanMN @RashidaTlaib
- Share the stories of the 28 Children and their families facing deportation, as told by a teenage girl released from detention.
- Uplift the Organizational Sign On Letter to bring awareness to the crisis:
- Letter signed by 60+ organizations: https://bit.ly/SafetyForthe28
- Amplify the following organizations @aldea_pjc @ShutdownBerks @HaitianBridge @ProyectoDilley
Special thank you to everyone involved in this effort:
Aldea – The People’s Justice Center, Amnesty International USA, Detention Watch Network, Haitian Bridge Alliance, Families Belong Together, Human Rights First, Proyecto Dilley, Shut Down Berks Coalition